St. Mary's is the Catholic church of the parish. The parish priest is Fr.Karl Burns. The present church is built on the site of an older chapel on the Grattan Bellew estate and was developed from a church built about 1822.
It was extended later in the century, under the energetic direction of the parish priest of the time, Fr. Thomas Ronayne, and dedicated to St. Mary by Archbishop MacEvilly in 1888. Three cemeteries are attached to the parish. The old graveyard behind the church contains interesting headstones going back three hundred years (those of the nineteenth century priests with carved birettas). There is the old cemetery in Aghiart, which is also historically interesting,
about half a mile from town on the Ballygar road. The most recent addition is the new cemetery at the western end of town. See the weekly newsletter for times of services and local information.